Re: making more room in root partition for distribution upgrade

On 21/05/18 02:19, Abdullah Ramazanoğlu wrote:
> LVM greatly simplifies the partitioning part of the chore. But you still need
> to do the content management part[*] before shrinking / after enlarging an LV,
> don't you?
>
> [*] backup, umount/swapoff, resize2fs/mkswap, mount/swapon, (unlikely but
> possibly: restore)

How much risk is there really these days in resizing a filesystem? I
don't think I've ever had a problem (that required restoring from
backup) in ~15 years. I usually use xfs for anything beyond the root fs.

The most significant problem I think I had was trying to take LVM
snapshots of an xfs filesystem - I don't know for sure if it was that
combination that was the problem, or if it was, whether it still is.

Richard