Re: making more room in root partition for distribution upgrade

On Thu, 17 May 2018 18:06:46 -0500 Mark Copper said:

[ ---8<--- ]

> This must be a FAQ. But there appear to be two ways forward.
>
> 1. Back-up /home, enlarge / partition, copy back-up back to new, smaller
> /home partition (because /home will then start on a different cylinder so
> data will be lost).
>
> or
>
> 2. Carve out a new partition for /usr at end of disk which will free up
> over 6 gb.

I had the same problem a while ago and enlarged my root partition from 10G to
40G. I guess it was a bit overkill, as my root partition is 8,5G now. So I
think 20 to 30 G depending on usage specifics should be fine.

I would recommend against (2) the reason being the more partitioned your disk
layout, the less efficient use of disk space (the more pooled the more
efficient use of space).

So, your actual disk layout is quite sensible IMO, and I would have stuck (1).
But then, once /home is backed up, there is no more need to "enlarge" the root
partition (as in resize2fs, if you meant that). I would have simply
re-partitioned the disk with the same layout as it is now (except different
partition sizes), do a fresh install, and then restore /home to its new
partition.

Regards
--
Abdullah Ramazanoğlu