Re: "pre-treating" documents from certain remote URLs before a web browser renders them

davidson <davidson@freevolt.org> writes:

> On Tue, 15 May 2018, davidson wrote:
>
>> I have a problem: The more frequently I browse a web site, the more I
>> notice all the things I hate about its web pages.
>>
>> And I seem to have a partial solution to this problem: I can make XSLT
>> stylesheets[1] that will transform a web page A, as received from a
>> remote site, into a XHTML document B that better suits my purposes.[2]
>> I find it entertaining to make these, so I would like to figure out
>> how to incorporate them into a solution to the problem above.
>>
>> But at the moment I do not know a good solution to the rest of the
>> problem, namely how to incorporate the application of stylesheets (and
>> preliminary preprocessing) into the web browsing activity.
>
> [snip]
>
>> I would appreciate any suggestions, experiences (bad or good) along
>> these lines, etc.
>
> I would like to thank everybody who took some time to reply with
> suggestions and experience. So, thanks!
>
> I will experiment with privoxy first, but I've taken note of the clues
> and hints about alternatives too.
>
> Grateful for the help.

You should note that HTTP-proxy based systems will not be able to do any
inspection or modification of traffic for sites using HTTPS.
Browser-based systems like greasemonkey work better for that.  Since you
mentioned xslt, there is someone at [1] mangling web pages using xslt
with a greasemonkey script that you could use as inspiration.

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17998446/how-to-transform-an-xml-file-with-xslt-using-a-greasemonkey-script

--
regards,
kushal