Re: Debian testing not receivng packages at least in gnome.

On Wed, 16 May 2018 16:53:57 -0400
Cindy-Sue Causey <butterflybytes@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/16/18, Matthew <ilovecountrymusic483@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Afternoon all.
> >

> > A very strange problem that is very strange.  I have two debian
> > machines both with the testing repo as the sources from which I am
> > using.  One is using mate desktop and the other is using gnome.  I
> > have the sources list pointing to the testing branch on both.  One
> > the mate machinee updates the desktop without any problem, but the
> > gnome system however does not.  Here is how my debian sorces list
> > looks on my gnome system. I switch to the main server thinking that
> > this might work, but no luck. I know that there were updates as my
> > mate system was just updated.  Any ideas.  Now here is the sources
> > list info.
> >

> > #
> >
> > # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 9.4.0 _Stretch_ - Official amd64
> > NETINST 20180310-11:21]/ stretch main
> >
> > # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 9.4.0 _Stretch_ - Official amd64
> > NETINST 20180310-11:21]/ stretch main
> >
> > deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ testing main
> > deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ testing main
> >
> > # deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing-updates main
> >

> > BTW the last 2 lines are commented in the file.
>

> Are you saying that you see something like this, like *mine*, when you
> try to update:

Thing is, he's not on Stable. Sid has been getting bucket-loads of
updates every day, as usual, and a fair proportion of that should make
it to Testing fairly quickly.

To the OP: how are you making updates? I use upgrade-system, which
works most of the time. When it wants to pull stupid amounts of stuff
out, I move to Synaptic and see how much I can make work.

In your case, you might want to try upgrading using apt-get or
aptitude, and report the messages from the two machines. If you are
using an upgrade method which is part of the desktop environment, there
might well be different behaviour.

--
Joe