Re: Debian testing not receivng packages at least in gnome.

On 5/16/18, Matthew <ilovecountrymusic483@gmail.com> wrote:
> Afternoon all.
>

> A very strange problem that is very strange.  I have two debian machines
> both with the testing repo as the sources from which I am using.  One is
> using mate desktop and the other is using gnome.  I have the sources
> list pointing to the testing branch on both.  One the mate machinee
> updates the desktop without any problem, but the gnome system however
> does not.  Here is how my debian sorces list looks on my gnome system.
> I switch to the main server thinking that this might work, but no luck.
> I know that there were updates as my mate system was just updated.  Any
> ideas.  Now here is the sources list info.
>

> #
>
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 9.4.0 _Stretch_ - Official amd64 NETINST
> 20180310-11:21]/ stretch main
>
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 9.4.0 _Stretch_ - Official amd64 NETINST
> 20180310-11:21]/ stretch main
>
> deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ testing main
> deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ testing main
>
> # deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing-updates main
>

> BTW the last 2 lines are commented in the file.

Are you saying that you see something like this, like *mine*, when you
try to update:

Or are you saying something else, e.g. like maybe it won't complete
the earlier "apt-get update" step (or however else you update your
setup's package manager)?

I'm just asking because mine has remained at the above for MANY
months. Every so many weeks, one outside browser needs updated, but
that's it.

I consciously thought about it and just thought Stable was
phenomenally stable. At the same time I'm on security listservs that
keep sending out announcements for familiar packages. I've found it
hard to believe that mine hasn't needed *anything* updated to
date......

Your inquiry just retriggered an *oops* forgotten minor detail that
there's a security related line that can be added. That would be some
personalized main v. contrib v. non-free tweak of:

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ stretch/updates main

Oh, have mercy. I just added that then "apt-get update"/"apt-get
upgrade". Went pretty quick, but, ummm.......

"102 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 429 MB of archives.
After this operation, 10.5 MB disk space will be freed."

Via dialup.

At that rate, I might as well debootstrap again just for funnsies to
sweep out incidental cobwebs. Comme ci comme ça, six of one, half a
dozen of another, yada-yada...... :D

My meandering is partially k/t...

1) https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/371865/debian-9-sources-list

2) https://www.howtoforge.com/using-old-debian-versions-in-your-sources.list

And ultimately...

3) https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList

PS I can see where that missing "debian-security" line would be, nay,
apparently *is* why there have been no updates on *my* end with a
one-liner sources.list, BUT...

I'm not cognitively grasping why resource protecting security updates
to software would not have naturally been reflected all along even
with that one-liner sources.list file. I would have thought it was all
in the same single repository bucket that our packagers pluck from
regularly... :)

My faded memory is that this came up here on Debian-User, and there
*is* some rational thought process as to why that doesn't naturally
happen...

I think... ? Maybe.. ? Or not..? :)

Cindy =)
--