Re: Encrypted containers & the Debian installer.

On Tue 15 May 2018 at 23:05:10 (-0700), Diagonal Arg wrote:
> On my first tries with the Debian installer, I am struggling with the limited resources for installing to encrypted disks.  I am using the same technique I have used with Ubuntu, but failing at the last step:
>
> I create my luks disk(s) before-hand, then run the installer.  I find I have to anna-install cryptsetup-udeb, as there is no such choice in "Load Installer Modules".  Dropping to a shell, opening the disk, and  re-detecting hard drives allows me to carry out the installation (as long as there's a filesystem in the mapped device), but on reboot I'm at an initramfs without cryptsetup.  So I use a debian-live to pivot into the system to create a crypttab.  I find I also have to install cryptsetup.  Then I run update-initramfs.  Here is where I'm stuck.  The new initramfs still does not include cryptsetup.  Why is it not recognizing the crypttab?

Are you not seeing the last line in this screen excerpt?

  ┌────────────────────┤ [?] Load installer components from CD ├────────────────────┐
  │                                                                                 │
  │ All components of the installer needed to complete the install will be loaded   │
  │ automatically and are not listed here. Some other (optional) installer          │
  │ components are shown below. They are probably not necessary, but may be         │
  │ interesting to some users.                                                      │
  │ Note that if you select a component that requires others, those components      │
  │ will also be loaded.                                                            │
  │ Installer components to load:                                                   │
  │    [ ] choose-mirror: Choose mirror to install from (menu item)              ↑  │
  │    [ ] crypto-dm-modules-4.9.0-2-686-di: devicemapper crypto module          ▮  │

Cheers,
David.