Re: AI spam filter

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 12:02:10PM +0000, Curt wrote:

I'm no expert in AI, but it was my understanding that, while you need
massive amounts of data and processing of that data to CREATE an AI
model, the model itself can be relatively modest to run. This, I
believe, is how smartphones can now boast "AI processing" for your
photos and how Google's "auto-complete your emails" feature works.

But is the smartphone itself doing the actual processing (in apps
relying on *neural nets*), or is it only uploading the data to internet
servers that do the processing work and receiving the subsequent
results?

The smartphone CAN do local AI processing. I find this video quite an accessible introduction to neural networks [MarI/O - Machine Learning for Video Games][https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv6UVOQ0F44&t=281s]. The video shows that, while it takes quite a bit of work to create the neural network (several plays through, categorising a run as successful or not, etc), the resulting logic can be quite simple ("If there is a block at co-ordinates X,Y, press the Up Key". "If there is a block at X,Y AND no block at W,Z, press the Left Key" etc).

Or, in other words, while it may take several CPU-decades to train an AI what a dog looks like, once it has learnt that, recognising a dog then becomes a trivial task.

--
For more information, please reread.