Re: Problem with Firefox Quantum v-650.0

On Thu, 10 May 2018 13:00:27 -0400 "Stephen P. Molnar"
<s.molnar@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 05/10/2018 11:13 AM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 11:07:43AM -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> >> I've encountered a strange problem with the latest release of
> >> Firefox Quantum v-60.0.
> >>
> >> Up to this point the previous versions, the 59.x.x, series had
> >> been very happily residing in /opt/firefox.  I uncompressed the
> >> downlo9aded file as a user and thee copied the firefox directory
> >> tree as root
> >>
> >> I did the upgrade exactly the same way, but now when I try opening
> >> firefox I get:
> >>
> >> comp@AbNormal:/opt/firefox$ ./firefox

That should be firefox not /firefox.

> >> XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /opt/firefox/libnspr4.so:
> >> /opt/firefox/libnspr4.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
> >> file or directory
> >> Couldn't load XPCOM.
> >>
> >> What I find really puzzling is that I can run the new version in
> >> my user directory tree without any problems.
> >>
> >> What is going on here?
> > My first guess: you forgot to wipe out the old version before you
> > unpacked the new version into the same target directory.  So now
> > you've got a mix of files from two different versions, and
> > something gets confused.
> >

> Actually not.  I renamed the v-59.x.x in /opt and copied the version
> directly from the user subdirectory in wi=hich I unzipped the
> download.

FWIW, why don't you create a .desktop file -- firefox.desktop -- then
you don't have to start firefox from the command line.  Here's mine:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=firefox
Comment= Internet Browser
Exec=/opt/firefox/firefox
Icon=/opt/firefox/browser/icons/mozicon128.png
Type=Application
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false
Categories=Application;Internet;

Put it in /usr/share/applications/  and restart your desktop.  The
system should create a menu item and icon.