Re: Chinese file name problem in xterm

Thank Ben!

i use twm, don't you realize it when you see screen shot attached in my 2nd mail of thread? twm is simple, i won't try xfce or gnome,they are complex, they may display Chinese correctly, but they likely have other problem,  even small problem like ugly font is unacceptable to me, you know

i think vfat partition use unicode, which support many languages, i think it support both Traditional and simplified Chinese

Chinese in your mail are correctly displayed in my firefox, i'v installed font-noto-cjk, but xterm still can't display all Chinese

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018, 6:22:00 AM GMT+8, Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz> wrote:

On 08/05/18 21:39, Long Wind wrote:
> i decide to use old font with problem
> the new font a user suggests can display Chinese correctly
> but it display English ugly, and most of time i use English

I use and recommend xfce4-terminal from Xfce. gnome-terminal should
perform similarly. What desktop environment do you use?

With a UTF-8 locale, ext4 filesystem (UTF-8 filenames), and the
fonts-noto package, I can in an xfce4-terminal terminal instance:

touch English
touch 中文

tmp$ ls -al
total 16
drwxrwx---  2 ben ben  4096 May  9 10:04 ./
drwx------ 14 ben ben 12288 May  9 10:00 ../
-rw-rw----  1 ben ben    0 May  9 10:01 English
-rw-rw----  1 ben ben    0 May  9 10:04 中文
tmp$

Screenshot attached.

> is that a bug? it still puzzle me
> Chinese characters that aren't correctly displayed are common ones
> so common that if any program can display Chinese it should be able to display them
> why it can display some while it fail to display other?

Traditional or simplified Chinese? (I do not speak or read Chinese, but
I know there is a difference, and can use Google Translate.)

Your font likely has incomplete Unicode coverage. fonts-noto provides
large coverage for CJK code points:
https://packages.debian.org/sid/fonts-noto
https://packages.debian.org/sid/fonts-noto-cjk

If your Chinese text is displayed properly in Firefox, you might already
have this font installed.

> i want to be perfect, but i'm in poor health, can't bother such small thing
> maybe next debian distro will not have such problem

Debian bugs are fixed only when users and developers care about them.
What better health tonic than exercise, sunshine, and fixing Debian bugs?

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director