Re: A long rant on Debian 9

On Mon, 7 May 2018, Brian wrote:

On Mon 07 May 2018 at 18:17:07 +0100, jpff wrote:

Things are getting better if not quite right.  I have a lean x/fvwm system
installed and I have managed to get an xterm displayed.  The major issues I
have left outstanding are

If you have fvwm on the system it was installed after first boot. To
state the obvious, either WiFi or ethernet was used. Which one was it?

I did a complete reinstall using wired network, but ensured no desktp of any kind. Then added the most obvious things like fvwm, exim, emacs and some others

1:  The X40 has a three-mbutton trackpoint but while button 1 works, button
2 has no affect and button 3 does what button 2 should do.  Not seen that
before and not sure where to look.

 > Dunno. It is not critical. Put it on the back burner.

Just makes it hard to se. The middle button works in xterm but not in fvwm. Maybe not critical but a problem for my fingers who have been doing this for so long

2:  Still no wifi.  iwconfig allows me to set key and essid etc but ifup
says it has not heard about wlp2s2 which is the name "ip link" gives.
Sometimes the wifi is active judging from the flashing of the lights but no
connection.  I am used to using ifconfig/iwconfig on other machines.

You have installed wireless-tools (the installer doesn't). You could
also install net-tools if you feel more comfortable with it. Please
post the contents of /etc/network/interfaces and the output of 'ip a'.

I have net-tools, not sure about wireless-tools. Will check when I can get back to a wired location. On the 64bit laptop at present ssh'ed into the Debian firewall.

3:  My wifi is WPA-PSK (I think version 2).  Is teresoe package I eed for
this?  Just realised that I have never used wifi on debian boxes....

Apart from wpasupplicant, no.

I see evidence of some wps- files but not akl I expect from other systems

And again thank you all for your advice and comments. It is getting better.

Answering a question or two might see a dramatic increase in betterness.

AFIK I have answered all questions; apologies if I am being unclear.

--
Brian.

==John ff