Re: pointless systemd dependencies

On 2018-05-07 at 14:34, Abdullah Ramazanoğlu wrote:

> On Mon, 07 May 2018 07:39:22 -0400 The Wanderer said:
>
>> 3. See whether it tries to install systemd, either by direct
>> dependency or by an indirect cascade of dependencies.
>> 5. If it tries to install systemd by indirect dependency, identify
>> the package in the dependency chain which results in pulling in
>> systemd, and
>
> ~$ apt-cache rdepends libsystemd0 systemd

At a glance, this appears to only list the packages which directly
depend on libsystemd0 or systemd.

I'm thinking of multi-step dependency chains. The one which I mentioned
having noticed, reported, and gotten the maintainer to find a way to
drop, was four packages long:

[the original package] -> gvfs -> gvfs-daemons -> udisks2 -> libpam-systemd

The final step of which which is not systemd itself, but does introduce
behavior changes which I find undesirable, even with systemd not
present.

I don't know of any single command - or even self-contained set of
readily reusable commands - which would have identified the fact that
installing the original package would have pulled in libpam-systemd,
except for trying to install it. Even once that's been determined, I
don't know of any way to determine what part of the dependency chain
results in that happening, except to 'apt-get install [packagename]
libpam-systemd-' (and repeat, adding more "no, don't install this
package either" blockings of alternative dependency resolutions, until
the resolver fails to find a solution).

--
   The Wanderer