Re: Dead computer after system shutdown. - Resolved for Now

On Sun, May 06, 2018 at 02:36:50PM -0400, Thomas George wrote:
> Box is between two tables but managed to remove side cover and with
> mirror confirmed green light on motherboard. Unplugged power cord,
> green light goes out, reconnected power, green light on and power
> switch works, BIOS message Asus surge protection shut system down
> because of unstable power supply..
>
> My records show I assembled this box from components in 2008. Should
> I be worried? Expected lifetimes of cpu, mb, power supply?
>

> On 05/06/2018 12:14 PM, Thomas George wrote:
> >Selected shutdown from the window manager and the operating system
> >turned off the computer as usual. Tried to restart the computer
> >from the switch on the desktop box but it was totally dead.
> >
> >Where to look for the failure? CPU, motherboard, power supply or
> >mechanical switch?
> >
> >I never thought before about how the operating system shuts down
> >the computer. I know there are two wires from the power supply
> >which the desktop switch connects to turn on the power supply. How
> >does the operating system turn it off?

Dirt, dust will greatly affect a computer's life expectancy.
I try to clean my old PIII twice a year. Open it up, take outside and
blow all the dust out. Then pop the cover off the PS and give it the
same treatment. Clean all the fan blades with Qtips and alcohol as
well as the CPU heat sink.
ESD  procedures are called for but all that really amounts to is
putting a hand on the chassis before touching anything inside so any
charge you have built up is disappated through the chassis rather than
through a chip's gate.
Best of luck,
Mike
--
"Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than
almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of