Re: A long rant on Debian 9

Hi John,

Take a look at the relevant section of the installation manual at:
    https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch06s04.html.en
and then download the unofficial non-free installer iso at:
    http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

You can put the iso on a USB and install from there directly.  It already contains the missing firmware so you don’t need to mess with separate USBs and tarballs, etc.

Rick