Re: Chinese file name problem in xterm

On 07/05/18 09:26, Long Wind wrote:
some Chinese file names are properly shown in xterm in stretch, but other are not
all Chinese characters can be properly shown in firefox
how to solve it? Thanks!

What characters? What is shown? What did you expect?

xterm uses fixed-size bitmap fonts which typically support only limited character ranges; both xterm and bitmap fonts are considered legacy technologies and have been replaced since by the development of scalable fonts and terminals supporting them in the 1990s. Can you use a terminal that supports scalable fonts? Examples include gnome-terminal and xfce4-terminal.

If the characters are shown in in Firefox, I expect that you have installed fonts that support Chinese characters with a command like:

apt-get install fonts-noto

It might also be useful to know your locale. I hope your system and filesystem are using UTF-8. What is your filesystem type (ext4? vfat?) and what is its filename encoding?

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director