Re: can't boot a Debian on QEMU-mips virtual machine, could be initrd or root device problems

Thanks Reco. The concept I missed is, I need to grab the initrd and
kernel from the installed system, specifically from the /boot
directory. I know that now for all future architectures I mess with!

There are lots of ways to do the same thing, I'm just sharing. To
mount a partition inside raw disk image, one can use the loopback
device.

1.  Determine the byte offset of the desired partition.
$ fdisk -lu
$offset=sector size * start sector

2.  Create the loopback link.
# losetup -o $offset /dev/loop0 image_file

3.  Mount as usual:
# mount /dev/loop0 directory

4.  Copy files, edit/make changes, etc.

5.  When done, umount as usual: