Re: can't boot a Debian on QEMU-mips virtual machine, could be initrd or root device problems

Hi,

Alan Tu wrote:
> I installed Debian inside a virtual disk image.

>From outside qemu ? That could be tricky because being unusual.

Last time i installed a virtual Debian, i did something like this:

  # Create virtual disk as data file
  qemu-img create debian_vm_disk.qemu 32G

  # Start qemu to install Debian from netinst ISO
  qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 512 \
       -net nic \
       -hda debian_vm_disk.qemu \
       -cdrom debian-9.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso \
       -boot d

I just tested this. A graphics window comes up, a boot loader menu appears
and offers "Graphical install", "Install", "Advanced options", ...

(I think i used "Install". It was a Debian 8 ISO which i then converted
 into a Debian Sid. More than two years ago ...)

> # qemu-system-mips -m 2048 -rtc base=localtime -boot order=c
> -nographic -hda debian_mips32b.img -kernel vmlinux-4.9.0-6-4kc-malta
> -append "root=/dev/sda1"

Shouldn't there be a bootloader installed in debian_mips32b.img ?

Maybe you first need to find somebody who has a Debian installed on mips.
Maybe via
  https://www.debian.org/ports/mips/
So you could learn how it roughly has to look like.
"qemu-system-mips" ... 32 bit big-endian ? A virtual SGI Iris ? Oh nostalgy.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas