Re: Debian glossary?

On Monday, April 30, 2018 10:44:56 AM Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 10:37:22AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > as those files appear to be made by just copying the man
> > page into the info format.
>
> That's untrue.  Compare a GNU info page to the same tool's GNU man page
> and you will see a huge difference.
>
> wooledg:~$ man ls | wc
>     233     911    7823
> wooledg:~$ info coreutils ls | wc
>     835    4551   34791

Well, I wouldn't say it's untrue--it is sometimes (and maybe often) true--I
don't have an example at hand, but back in the days when I did look at an info
page after viewing a man page, I often found the exact same content (maybe
modulo some formatting differences or similar).

Of course, I don't know whether the man pages copied the info pages or vice
versa (in those cases).