anacron mysteriously not working

Hi,

on my laptop (with Stretch) anacron for some reason refuses to work, which
I only noticed initially when I discovered that the syslog had become
rather huge, so apparently logrotate had not been performed for months.

cron itself is working, which I can tell by a custom script
in /etc/cron.hourly which runs reliably.
anacron is installed with default configuration (to make sure I purged
and reinstalled anacron).
anacron does not start the pending jobs after boot, regardless if the
device runs on battery or AC power.
What baffled me most is that when I manually invoke anacron with
	# anacron -fnd
it does not seem to do anything except writing a message into the syslog,
apart from this the command immediately returns. I thought this command
should at least do *something* at any rate (at least on my desktop
machine when I run it two times in succession the second run also takes
its time to complete).

When I invoke the cron jobs manually with
	# run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily (resp. -.weekly or -.monthly)
everything seems to work as expected (e.g. logs are rotated properly).

I looked up
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?dist=stable;package=anacron
which actually showed some similar looking bug reports, however as far as
I can see none of these really matches the problem here.

Does anyone have an idea what else I could try?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Killing is stupid; useless!
		-- McCoy, "A Private Little War", stardate 4211.8