Re: [Progress Report1] Re: Using debootstrap

Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> writes:

> On 04/25/2018 09:19 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>> My goal is a very minimalist install to a flash drive. It will NOT
>> have GRUB - GRUB on this machine is on a dedicated partition for
>> convenience in some of my experiments.
>
> Doing:

>     debootstrap --verbose --arch=i386 --include=apt-get \
>       --variant=minbase --no-check-gpg --print-debs \
>       --keep-debootstrap-dir stable /media/richard/rco \
>       file:////media/cdrom0/debian/
>
> generates no error messages. HOWEVER, very few files are actually
> written to the flash drive at /media/richard/rco and a subsequent run
> of "debootstrap --second-stage" yields a file not found message.

You are providing „--print-debs” as an argument to „debootstrap” which
will cause „debootstrap” to print the packages it would install and
exit.  Here is the manual entry for „--print-debs”:

     Print the packages to be installed, and exit.  Note that a TARGET
     directory must be specified so debootstrap can download Packages
     files to determine which packages should be installed, and to
     resolve dependencies.  The TARGET directory will be deleted unless
     --keep-debootstrap-dir is specified.

Do not specify „--print-debs” if you want „debootstrap” to install the
packages.

Also: if you run debootstrap from the same target architecture (or a very
similar one like creating an i386 environment from an amd64 host, I
suspect) you do not need to run the second stage manually.

--
Felix Dietrich