Re: Using debootstrap

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 10:21:21AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 04/25/2018 10:12 AM, Henning Follmann wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 09:19:13AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> > > My goal is a very minimalist install to a flash drive. It will NOT have GRUB
> > > - GRUB on this machine is on a dedicated partition for convenience in some
> > > of my experiments.
> > >
> > >  From reading several references I believe my command should be:
> > >
> > > debootstrap --arch=i386 --include=apt-get --variant=minbase --no-check-gpg
> > > --print-debs --keep-debootstrap-dir stable /media/richard/rco
> > > /media/cdrom0/????
> > >
> > > I have two questions:
> > >    1. What should replace "????" as I'll be using DVD1 of Debian 9.1.0
> > >       as my "repository"?
> > >    2. As I expect the console display may exceed the scroll back limits,
> > >       I wish to pipe the console display for later reference without
> > >       impeding answering any prompts I get. I've seen a description for
> > >       doing that, but I can't remember it. Pointers?
> > >

> > How about
> > man debootstrap
> > ?
> >
> > I'll copy the synopsys for you(r lazy ...) here
> >        debootstrap [OPTION...]  SUITE TARGET [MIRROR [SCRIPT]]
> >
> > after stable you provide the target (your usb stick)
> >

> Two problems with with your answer <grin>
> 1. the man page was one of my half-dozen references.
> 2. you answered neither of my questions.

What did you not understand in the man page?
can I continue copying stuff from the man page to you:

debootstrap  bootstraps a basic Debian system of SUITE into TARGET from
       MIRROR by running SCRIPT.  MIRROR can be an http:// or https:// URL,
       file:/// URL, or an ssh:/// URL.

if you don't provide a Mirror it will consult your sources list.

Happy to read the man page to you buddy.

-H

--
Henning Follmann           | hfollmann@itcfollmann.com