Re: Using debootstrap

On 04/25/2018 10:12 AM, Henning Follmann wrote:
On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 09:19:13AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
My goal is a very minimalist install to a flash drive. It will NOT have GRUB
- GRUB on this machine is on a dedicated partition for convenience in some
of my experiments.

 From reading several references I believe my command should be:

debootstrap --arch=i386 --include=apt-get --variant=minbase --no-check-gpg
--print-debs --keep-debootstrap-dir stable /media/richard/rco
/media/cdrom0/????

I have two questions:
   1. What should replace "????" as I'll be using DVD1 of Debian 9.1.0
      as my "repository"?
   2. As I expect the console display may exceed the scroll back limits,
      I wish to pipe the console display for later reference without
      impeding answering any prompts I get. I've seen a description for
      doing that, but I can't remember it. Pointers?

How about
man debootstrap
?

I'll copy the synopsys for you(r lazy ...) here
       debootstrap [OPTION...]  SUITE TARGET [MIRROR [SCRIPT]]

after stable you provide the target (your usb stick)

Two problems with with your answer <grin>
1. the man page was one of my half-dozen references.
2. you answered neither of my questions.