Re: X does not work in Debian 9.4

i just return home and check email
by asking so many questions, you surely have more energy than i

url you give seems helpful
#801605 - xserver-xorg: X fails to start as normal user - Debian Bug report logs

i run X as root, and succeed, Thanks!
it seems i'm helping testing/debugging, i'm not interested in such effort

actually i have other option, i can put up with 9.3, which i'm using now to write this mail

On Sunday, April 22, 2018, 9:09:29 AM GMT+8, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> wrote:

Long Wind composed on 2018-04-22 00:32 (UTC):

>  i think my monitor comply with those standards and can support default setting used by X
> and your freq range have little chance of solving my problem

You don't know that if you didn't try. Something in the driver could have
changed to cause a rounding difference that differs in 9.4 from 9.3 that puts
your narrow specification out of range. You didn't provide much detail about
what the problem is, that is, what you do or did beside replacing 9.3 with 9.4
that causes it:

1-Is 9.4 an upgrade from 9.3, or a fresh installation?

2-Is it a standard systemd installation, or one that's using sysvinit?

3-Is there a displaymanager installed and running? If so, which one?

4-Are you running startx as root, or as normal user?

5-Are you including any command line options to startx? If so, which one(s)?

6-Do you get the same failure on all vttys?

7-Do you get the same failure booted to the previous kernel?

> and i'm in poor health and not energetic enough to test your solution

Anyone who has enough energy to write an email has enough energy to edit
xorg.conf and restart a PC or startx. I'm not in good health or energetic
either, but that doesn't stop me from typing an email or editing config files.

> i have a look at legacy package you mention, i'm afraid it won't help

What does that mean? Did you try? Comments near the end of
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=801605 suggest it very well
might. (permissions on /usr/bin/Xorg or content of /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
needs needs_root_rights=yes)

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/