Re: how to find out ethernet device name

On 2018-04-17, Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2018, Long Wind wrote:
>> we used to call them eth0, eth1 ...now we use new names
>> i have a ethernet card in stretchhow to find out its name? Thanks!
>
> sudo ip link;

Do you need sudo for that (would I get something else here if I was
root)?

(I tried as root and cannot distinguish between the two outputs but won't paste that
here so as to not beat the thing over the head too hard.)

curty@einstein:~$ ip link
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether c8:9c:dc:6f:d3:11 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

--
"Three prisoners were locked in a cell. When the largest of them finished his
food, he immediately ate the others. Too bad. An apostrophe in the right place