Re: SSD's and many edits of a single file

On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 03:27:48 AM Gene Heskett wrote:
> What seems to be lost on you folks not running realtime patched kernels,
> is that when linuxcnc is running, it has total control over the
> hardware, and that linux becomes a client of the realtime system,
> getting what cpu time is left after linuxcnc has finished what it has to
> do to meet the timing constraints needed to run the machine and meet the
> sub-micron positioning accuracy required.

Hmm, a more careful 2nd reading may have answered my question, but I'll ask
anyway--on first reading I wondered if that was true of any program running in
/ making use of a Linux realtime kernel--that is, that the realtime program
(linuxcnc) (or is that the kernel) has total control over the  machine.

On 2nd reading, I think the answer is yes, i.e., if I have a midi program
making use of the / a real time kernel, it will have total control of the
machine and other programs will have the "leftovers"?