Re: How to redirect messages in ~/.xsession-errors to a FIFO device?

On 2018-04-06 15:48, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 06, 2018 at 03:18:08PM +0200, Mikhail Morfikov wrote:
>> Basically, all messages returned by X-applications are redirected to the
>> ~/.xsession-errors file [...]
>
>> till a terminal with "cat" is started inside of the X session. I'm just
>> wondering whether similar solution can be achieved without systemd.
>
> You might consider adding one file in /etc/X11/Xsession.d which does your
> trick. Those files are sourced *after* the exec >> "$ERRFILE"...
Could you tell me what in your opinion I should do because I'm a little bit
confused.

If I set $ERRFILE to the FIFO device, processing of the script will be stopped
in the point where "exec ..." appears (before sourcing the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/
dir).

If I put "exec ..." in some file under the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ dir (commenting
it out from the main Xsession script), the X session won't start either because
processing of the Xsession script will stall at the one of the sourced files
where "exec ..." is found.

So how do you want to do it?