Re: hostname

On 3/30/2018 6:30 PM, David Wright wrote:
On Wed 21 Feb 2018 at 09:03:41 (-0500), Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 01:48:32PM +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
On 20/02/18 05:32, Greg Wooledge wrote:
You appear to be concerned that your hostname contains secret information,
and that having your hostname "leaked" to the rest of the world will be
an issue for you?

If that's the case, try not putting secret information into your
hostname.  E.g. naming your machine my_mothers_maiden_name_is_johnson
might be a bad idea.

I haven't been following the thread, but to be fair hostnames could
sometimes contain info that you might not want to spread around
unnecessarily. Eg "pg1-linode-tx" might be a useful hostname for your
first Texas DB VM, but you might not want to reveal that much info to
the whole world.

Then don't choose that hostname.  That's the entire point I'm trying
to make.  In Debian, you get to choose what your hostname is.  If you
want it to be as meaningless as possible, use something like pwgen to
generate a random string for you.

Why this is even being *discussed* is beyond me.  I still don't understand
the OP's rants.  Maybe it's a Windows-user thing?

It may simply be that the OP has read RFC 8117.
Section 5 could cause consternation to john doe!

This only applies to server facing internet if my understanding is correct.

--
John Doe