Re: Storing "real" user data: was: Re: Update: Re: Password Manager opinions and recommendations

Am 30. Mar, 2018 schwätzte rhkramer@gmail.com so:

moin moin,

I tend to keep my created data in ~/local/, so ~/local/bin/, ~/local/etc/,
~/local/sandbox/, ~/local/data/, etc.

I then link some of the dotfiles I want to preserve into ~/local/etc/, e.g.
.mozilla, .screenrc and .vim.

I haven't been dilligent enough to force ~/Desktop/ and ~/Documents/ to be
softlinks into ~/local/, so I don't have experience as to whether or not
that would freak tools out.

Some desktop environments helpfully rename those directories when I
switch languages, so I'm certain there would be some issues with the
automagically created directories.

I still back up all of ~/, but I take advantage of ~/local/ for syncing
systems.

ciao,

der.hans