Re: How to shut down

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018, solitone wrote:
> What's the current best practice to shut down the system? In the old
> days I used to:
> # shutdown - h now
>
> but then I read of the systemd way:
> # systemctl poweroff
>
> However, with the latter the system does shut down, although the
> machine does not power off (I have to physically press the off
> button). While with the former it actually powers off.

You can use either. `shutdown -h now` on a machine with systemd actually
invokes systemctl with the equivalent of systemctl poweroff[1].

If your machine isn't actually powering off, usually that indicates that
one or more units isn't finishing properly. The output of journalctl
will tell you what is going on in such a case.

1: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/src/systemctl/systemctl.c#L7900
--
Don Armstrong                      https://www.donarmstrong.com

[C]haos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought.
It always defeats order, because it is better organized.
 -- Terry Pratchett _Interesting Times_ p4