Re: How to shut down

On 2018-03-27, Siard <shiems146@kpnplanet.nl> wrote:
> solitone wrote:
>> # systemctl poweroff
>>
>> However, with the latter the system does shut down, although the
>> machine does not power off (I have to physically press the off
>> button).
>
> Here, 'systemctl poweroff', as user or as root, does power off the
> machine, both in stable and testing. So the question is why it does not
> work in your case.

That is the question. Yet I'm uncertain whether that question is amenable to
an answer.

I suffer from the same syndrome, no matter the method (shutdown -h now
and poweroff as root, systemctl poweroff as user and root).

The last few attempts with "systemctl poweroff" as root have powered the
machine off (one time as a regular ".homie" user that command produced a
"permission denied" message concerning, if memory serves--and it's
serving less and less as time goes by--journalctl).

It's periodic (well, periodic implies regularity and I've discovered
none). In all cases the shutdown is performed correctly, cleanly, but
sometimes the machine does not power off.

This is a chronic disease for which the only cure might be a bios
update (as I was informed by a kernel hacker here).

--
We are no longer the same, you wiser but not sadder, and I sadder but not
wiser, for wiser I could hardly become without grave personal inconvenience,