Re: some questions about cfengine3

Le Tue, 27 Mar 2018 12:15:41 +0200,
<tomas@tuxteam.de> a écrit :

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 10:10:10AM +0200, Morel Bérenger wrote:
> > Le Mon, 26 Mar 2018 20:48:31 +0200,
> > deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> a écrit :

> > > if you have not to maintain legacy, I recommend ansible or
> > > puppet.
> >
> > May I ask why? I must admit I don't know all those things a lot,
> > even if I did read a lot about them.
>
> It really depends on your needs/tastes/team.
>
> Cfengine is by far the smallest and least dependent (1.8MB installed
> size, no big interpreter). Ansible is 12.8MB, depends on Python (which
> will most probably be on your distro anyway) and a bunch of Python
> modules. Puppet is 5.9MB and depends on Ruby.
>
> The last two are what the cool kids are doing these days, cfengine is
> considerably older -- but most probably simpler to understand.
>
> I think you'll have to look into all of them and judge (yeah, I
> know ;-)

I am not really constrained about mass storage (I mean, embedding a
Debian system on 1Gb is easy enough, and our systems does not have less
than 4Gb) but on bandwidth, so I guess I'm better to go with the
smallest (considering that no, python is not needed in our systems and
so, absent), cfengine3 according to you?

Also, I'm the only one at work which have ever heard of that kind
of tools, so I'm basically free to take whatever I want, and I've never
really cared about «coolness» of systems.
If I could only work with softwares that are older than me and simple
enough to not require updates every 2 months, I would be a happy coder.

> > I should say I'm not even sure that kind of tool is the right one
> > for the task I have in mind: managing a fleet of systems that
> > connect through radio connections (3G, 4G, GSM, depends on what
> > we'll have on places, I guess).
>
> I think those systems help you in managing similar but slightly
> different configurations for many systems. So you seem to be right
> with that.

Thanks for the informations.

--
SGA Automation