Re: domain names, was: hostname

On Fri 23 Mar 2018 at 12:01:42 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> I venture to suggest that many (most?) .home users will be using their
> ISP's smarthost, which would mean that the ISP (a) usually insist on
> authentication and (b) and likely to have issued the network name
> (like ip70-179-161-106.fv.ks.cox.net) themselves.

"most" is a very reasonable estimate. "insist" is less reasonable
because the user will already have had to be authenticated to be on
the network. There would be little point in cox.net asking for more
credentials to send mail. Once you are on my network, mail is just
a service offered to a user.

--
Brian.