Re: Federated, decentralised communication on the internet

On 3/22/18 7:06 PM, dekks herton wrote:

On 03/21, Miles Fidelman wrote:
On 3/21/18 11:48 AM, Charlie Gibbs wrote:

On 21/03/18 01:00 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

My problem with "social networks" is that they're monopolies. Imagine popping down to the local pub for a pint and a bit of conversation, only to find that it's part of a huge chain run by a transnational conglomerate.  I much prefer the Usenet model, although web sites that let you leave messages come pretty close. What I don't like are those web sites that make you log in through Facebook in order to post.  Since I don't have a Facebook account and never will, such sites will have to do without my pearls of wisdom.  :-)

Maybe we should move back to USENET.  It worked pretty well, and it's still going strong in some quarters.  Add some global identity & reputation management, and the ability to set up lots of small newsgroups - and we'd have one hell of a Facebook killer.

There's always Fidonet lol

Does Fidonet still live?  I just checked fidonet.org and a lot of the links (like the node status one) go to odd places.  Fidonet.us seems to be current, but no list of active nodes.  Sigh...

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra