Re: Federated, decentralised communication on the internet

On 03/21/2018 03:38 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
On 3/21/18 12:32 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:

On 03/21/2018 11:05 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
On 3/21/18 11:48 AM, Charlie Gibbs wrote:

On 21/03/18 01:00 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

My problem with "social networks" is that they're monopolies. Imagine popping down to the local pub for a pint and a bit of conversation, only to find that it's part of a huge chain run by a transnational conglomerate.  I much prefer the Usenet model, although web sites that let you leave messages come pretty close. What I don't like are those web sites that make you log in through Facebook in order to post. Since I don't have a Facebook account and never will, such sites will have to do without my pearls of wisdom. :-)

Maybe we should move back to USENET.  It worked pretty well, and it's still going strong in some quarters.

*YES!* I use email and USENET only.
I attempted Facebook years ago. I set it up two have some family and one friend set up as "friends". I was careful to *NOT* to specify anything about where I lived. I was immediately spammed by advertising geographically associated with my "friends". The current fiasco with data mining private information says I was right.

  Add some global identity & reputation management, and the ability to set up lots of small newsgroups - and we'd have one hell of a Facebook killer.

Free market does a pretty good job. I'm currently subscribed to >20 tech oriented mailing lists with few problems.

I was thinking of STANDARDS for identity management across USENET sites, coupled with some access controls.  Right now, one key limit of USENET (well, NNTP) is that there are lots of ways of spoofing identity on posts, and no way to really limit access on a per-group basis.  Email lists provide a lot more control.  So does FaceBook.

(FYI:  I currently HOST 20+ email lists - mostly community groups. I'd love to run them as USENET groups, but - can't control membership.)

I'm a consumer not a provider, but I understood that "control membership" was part of structure for a "moderated group".
Education cheerfully accepted ;}