Re: how to view config file changes without running an upgrade?

Yes, that is how I do it, too.

First of all, all edited config files by me are copied to *.orig .
Doing so, I know, that these are the one of the package).

After I edited them, I copy the edited file to *.backup
Doing so, I know, these are the last edited files.

It happens, that I test some configs. After edited to testing needs,
I copy these to *.backup1 or *.testing1
Doing so, I know, they are only used for a short time and the application have
to be watched.

A good way (IMO) is also to copy a config file to *.date, like  i.e.
*.21032018, so I know, these are changed at 21st March 2018.

For me, this bahaviour is working well, as I can always return to every point
I want.

Happy hacking and good luck!

Hans