Re: How to mount or link as extention of fs?

On Sat 17 Mar 2018 at 17:32:00 (-0500), Dennis Wicks wrote:
> I have separated my /home file system from root so I can
> install new systems without clobbering it.

Which presumably means you have moved it to a separate partition.

> To make it most
> useful is there any way I can mount, link, whatever, it so
> that it appears to be an extension of, or included in,
> /home?

One would normally add a line to /etc/fstab like:
LABEL=myhome /home ext4 errors=remount-ro,defaults 0 2
or:
UUID=4a4e352f-2180-4083-92b4-f46e4e0104b4 /home ext4 errors=remount-ro,defaults 0 2
with the appropriate filesystem type (ext4 here). Then do
# mount -a

> That is not just another mount on the root fs.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, because that is exactly how a
separate /home normally is mounted. But I'll hazard a guess:

The filesystem on the partition labelled myhome (using the terminology
above) should have top-level directories with names like adam, brian,
carl, etc, ie the usernames. It should *not* have home as its
top-level directory or you'll end up with /home/home/adam etc when
it's mounted.

Cheers,
David.