Re: which blend caters to TaL computer programming? . . .

On 03/13/2018 07:59 PM, Albretch Mueller wrote:
[snip]

No! A functional language! Object oriented languages are wrong!
Linear types FTW! Multi-paradigm! Strongly typed! Dynamically
typed -- no, statically typed!

  In fact, it will just be an introduction, but I want to teach them to
be "multilingual"/"multi-paradigm" from the start.

I heartily approve. Although I wrote some project management apps in dBASEII under MSDOS, I'm lost attempting to understand SQL and cousins.

You need to teach them things like breaking down problems into
manageable parts and assembling parts into complex wholes.

  For which pointers are very useful? ;-)

For an introduction I would prefer a good BASIC. My introduction to computers as an engineering student in early 60's used CORC/CUPL (a predecessor at Cornell to Dartmouth's BASIC). I have never styled myself a "programmer", but when I need some code, I think out my logic in BASIC. YMMV ;!

To be fair, *you* are talking about "how to teach children to write
programs." The OP specifically asked about how to obtain a Debian blend
with a specific set of features/capabilities.

  Thank you and that blend doesn't seem to exist, right?

  I was just thinking of handing them a live DVD so their parents don't
protest about "installing software in their computers"

To sum up, the best approach IMO is to
- base everything on a game (something with rules and goals)
- explain computer architecture (as part of the game) what is doing what and
what is a purpose of a program, how a computer and a program work ...

  Thank you and yes, one of the projects will be coding a game and
another project will be about NLP (all my students are multilingual).
I will also introduce computer architecture, the Turing test (a little
bit of philosophy and why technical people have taken it as some sort
of modern day "how many angels can dance on the pin of a needle" kind
of thing, when IMO Turing himself never meant that computer
(ultimately syntactic devices) could compare to or simulate brain/mind
functions), ... but the most important aspect of it, would be that I
will mainly use a Mathematical approach to teaching computer
programming.

  I have had such ideas for a long time. It is that my students
actually started to ask for it. Of course, they have no idea about how
much time and mental effort professional programming takes, but again
it is just an introduction.

Hey, if he's paying, we answer the question he asked. If he's not, we
answer the question we want to answer. This is how the Internet works.

  There goes the emperor of the Internet telling how "we" think it works ...

Unfortunately this group has multiple emperors.