Re: Broken kernel?

John  ff wrote:

> All is OK with vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-amd64, but both 3.16.0-4-amd64 and
> 3.16.0-5-amd64 fail to load. When equipped with a screen I see it
> says Loading .. but it does not complete with no disk activity. The
> 3.2.0-4-amd64 kernel gives the same loading message followed shortly by
> saying the /dev/sda2 disk partition is clean and it continues to boot.
> Sorry I cannot remember the exact words after "Loading" but this m/c
> usually runs headless as my firewall and server.

I was forced to run 3.2 for quite a time, because newer did not boot. In my
case AMD cpu in headless server.
I found out that for some reason initramfs-tools did not
package /sbin/switch_root, so I unpacked initrd, copied switch_root
manually and packed again.
You can see more if you remove the "quite" option from the kernel command
line or use the recovery boot option.
If this wouldn't help I would pass init=/bin/sh and work out the boot
process manually to see where it fails.
At one point of time there was something with udev.

regards