Re: (solved) Re: wireless fail after stretch installation

At some point Jude DaShiell Cc'ed -devel. This accounts for some of the
traffic in this thread. I am also Cc'ing -devel. You didn't, but I am
not trimming any of your post; nor am I replying to every portion in
it.

On Sat 10 Mar 2018 at 09:53:58 -0600, David Wright wrote:

> On Wed 07 Mar 2018 at 13:25:16 (+0000), Ian Jackson wrote:
> > bw writes ("Re: (solved) Re: wireless fail after stretch installation"):
> >
> > Debian, like all ordinary software, is full of bugs.  Many bugs
> > languish unfixed for years.  This is not malice, or a "sick joke".
> > It's just that there is too much to do and too few people to do it.
>
> I'm afraid I've been misquoted. The exchange was (my lines are marked ★):
>
> --✄--------
>
> > How connectivity is re-established on a machine with only a wireless
> > interface is left as an exercise for the user.
>
> This is some sort of sick joke. ★
>
> --✄--------
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2018/02/msg00015.html

Many apologies for quoting out of context.

> > There are rare cases where horrible people deliberately sabotage
> > things.  They are very high profile because they are so outrageous,
> > but they are not the norm.  I see no evidence in relation to this bug
> > that anyone is sabotaging anything.
>
> I made no accusations of sabotage. Again:
>
> --✄--------

> > > No. ★
>
> […]

> > > Intended to do what? ★
> >
> > To leave the user without network connectivity after first boot? There
> > are at least three bug reports against netcfg on the matter. My
> > recollection is that no deeper intention is revealed there.
>
> […]

The word "deliberately" was picked up and labelled as giving the message
an unfortunate tone and then linked with "deliberately breaking stuff".
A deliberate action need not be done with malice and there was nothing
in what I said which put ill-intent forward as a reason.

Trent W. Buck said in #694068:

  > This issue's history seems to be bogged down on whether
  > interfaces(5) can be mode 0600 (to hide the cleartext
  > passphrase).

As can be seen from

 https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2012/09/msg00282.html

having mode 0600 for /e/n/i was not given as a reason.

Futher on in the thread is:

 https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2012/09/msg00313.html

  > IIRC we decided on this default before we added the code to
  > change the access mode of /e/n/i if it contains a password.
  > The main reason for defaulting to no configuration in
  > this case was to avoid having passwords in there. If people
  > think it should default to ifupdown in this case this can be
  > changed.

Nothing about mode 0600 as a reason for the design and there was a
willingness to change the default.

You said earlier:

 > The thing that seemed odd to me when I examined the log was that the
 > installer removed the wireless configuration right at the last moment,
 > with no method of circumventing it.

That is touched on in the same -boot thread.

--
Brian.