Re: Multichannel audio listening

On Thu, 8 Mar 2018, at 19:43, Doug wrote:

> Somewhat off topic, but I'd like to know, if anyone reading here does,
> what to do with a phono player that has four-channel output:
> Four RCA jacks in the familiar red and black colors. I know there were
> for a short time four-channel disks, but I only have a modern stereo
> input amplifier. I believe that the original intent was to have two
> speakers in front of you, and two speakers behind you.  And of course,
> I only have stereo (2-channel) recordings. Anyone know what to do
> with these outputs?

If you have no 4-channel discs, then I doubt it matters.

You might want to try either the supposed-front pair,
versus the supposed rear pair to see if you prefer the
sound from one or other... supposing that the cartridge
in the player is also 4-channel-capable.  If the cartridge
is a 2-channel one then presumably only one pair of
outputs are connected anyway?

There's maybe a risk that playing stereo discs on the
player will damage the discs or the player.  I have no
idea.

There may be websites, forums, or newsgroups where
you could get better advice.  I used to spend a lot of time
on "rec.audio.pro", though asking there would be more
an appeal to people who might know of such machines
rather than a pro-audio question.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.