Re: A recomended guide to vim - was {Re: Does bash have a tool ?}

On 2018-03-07, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> On 03/05/2018 04:27 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:

>>> vim (hit escape to get into command mode)
>>>
>>> :/KEY2/+1;/KEY1/-1d
>>>
>>> will delete everything between KEY2 and KEY1, excluding the
>>> matching lines.
>>
>> Haven't looked up the syntax you referenced. HOWEVER, an initial browse
>> of vim.org immediately led to a half dozen pages of interest which an
>> additional half dozen (at least) things that are inherent in vim that I
>> had not mentioned. As today should be chilly and damp, I suspect where I
>> will be warm, dry, and becoming educated.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>>[snip]
>
> I've installed GVIM using Synaptic.
> I have browsed vim.org but in the abundance of documentation I haven't
> appropriate introductory material aimed at my mindset - I learn by doing.
>
> For example, GVIM launches with an unreadably small font.
> I have found the instructions to do ":set guifont=*".
> However I wish to set things appropriately in ~/.vimrc .
> I ended up in <http://vimhelp.appspot.com/> a sample script to insert.
> However I could find no links to how to find how find a list of
> designation of a font-face.
>
> I've not yet parsed the example given me
>
> That may be longer relevant as my reading at vim.org has suggested
> better ways to approach my problem [ vim appears to have a world-view
> similar to Digital Equipment's TECO which I used ~40 years ago].
>
> Where should I be looking for:
>   1. how to parse the given example.

http://vimregex.com/

The above link seems edifying.

 3.2 Range of Operation, Line Addressing and Marks

 /Section 1/+,/Section 2/-

 - all lines between Section 1 and Section 2, non-inclusively, i.e. the
   lines containing Section 1 and Section 2 will not be affected.

It would appear the 1 (in '/KEY2/+1' and '/KEY1/-1d') is superfluous in
the sense that if you omit the number after + or - it defaults to 1 (one).

Maybe it's better to be explicit.

'd' means delete.

>   2. how to have found it as a possible solution to my problem statement?

You said text editor so I thought of vim. I used a search engine to look
up how to do it.

--
Bah, the latest news, the latest news is not the last.
Samuel Beckett