Re: Origin of /var/run contents

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:

>> Wheezy used sysvinit and related pacakges, not systemd. Jessie does
>> have the file-hierarchy(7) man page that Jonathan mentioned.
>>
> Debian 7 had systemd, and the sharp-eyed who read the URL will have
> noticed that I pointed to the Debian 7 version of that manual page.

$ ls /usr/share/man/man
man1/ man2/ man3/ man4/ man5/ man6/ man7/ man8/

for the record those (1...8) are not the debian version

man man

DESCRIPTION
       man is the system's manual pager.  Each page argument given to man is
normally the name of a program, utility  or  function.   The  manual  page
       associated  with  each  of these arguments is then found and
displayed.  A section, if provided, will direct man to look only in that
section of
       the manual.  The default action is to search in all of the available
sections following a pre-defined order ("1 n l 8 3 2 3posix 3pm 3perl 3am 5
       4  9  6  7"  by default, unless overridden by the SECTION directive
in /etc/manpath.config), and to show only the first page found, even if
page
       exists in several sections.

       The table below shows the section numbers of the manual followed by
the types of pages they contain.

       1   Executable programs or shell commands
       2   System calls (functions provided by the kernel)
       3   Library calls (functions within program libraries)
       4   Special files (usually found in /dev)
       5   File formats and conventions eg /etc/passwd
       6   Games
       7   Miscellaneous (including macro packages and conventions), e.g.
man(7), groff(7)
       8   System administration commands (usually only for root)
       9   Kernel routines [Non standard]

regards