Re: (solved) Re: wireless fail after stretch installation

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 13:46:24 -0500 (EST) bw sent:

> On Tue, 6 Mar 2018, Ian Jackson wrote:
>
> > Brian writes ("Re: (solved) Re: wireless fail after stretch
> > installation"):
> > > #694068, #696755, #727740 and #777439.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > I have read the bug logs and Trent Buck's message here
> >   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=694068#47
> > seems to suggest a way forward.
> >
> > Perhaps someone would care to write and test a patch to d-i's
> > network configuration arrangements, to implement Trent's
> > suggestion ?  I think that the people who don't have
> > network-manager would probably prefer this to use ifupdown, and
> > making a whole new udeb will be work, so Trent's second suggestion
> > seems sensible.
>
> Second suggestion being networkd preferred over ifupdown?  yeah, I
> had thought this was going to come up eventually.  State it in plain
> english, if ifupdown is to be replaced, then let's get on with it.

<snip>

Let's not get rid of ifupdown or that way to bring the connection, wifi
or otherwise, up or down.

[disclaimer] Ifup/down is a personal preference [end disclaimer]

I do not do a "guided" or automagic install. Though I dislike the term,
because I am not, I used the expert install. So the following may be a
stupid suggestion.

The root of the problem appears to be: for someone who has installed
Debian on more machines, through a wifi connection and wants to
continue using that connection type, will know that the actual
connection requirement used by the installer is removed. No surprise.

Then write the /etc/network/interfaces file as required if that's the
way they wish to connect [ifup/down].

Maybe that should just be documented [exampled choices] in the
installer for anyone who doesn't install a Debian O/S all that often or
only once?

Never having used network manager or similar am not certain how they
work. However, the documentation during install at the appropriate time
could read something like: if you wish to continue using a wifi
connection after reboot, please edit /etc/network/interfaces [give an
example] or install network manager or whatever helper to do this?

Just a thought
Charlie