How to use a particular kernel for only one boot

I am still looking for a clean way to upgrade my Debian box.

Background is that the m/c is the interface to the world from the LAN,
runs headless, and is fairly difficult to access physically.  My
attempt to upgrade from Whezzy to Jessie broke as it would not
run/load the 3.16.0-4-amd64 kernel, and after a painful period I
managed to get Jessie running with the Whezzy 3.2.0-4-amd64 kernel.  I
have uploaded the 3.16.0-5-amd64.  What I would like would be to try a
boot into the new kernel, but if that fails for the next and
subsequent boots to be to the (working) Whezzy kernel.  I think I
heard once that there was such a mechanism but  have not found it.
BTW it is running grub.

Can it be done?
==John ffitch