can't install mplayer of stretch

Thank Deloptes and Mark Fletcher!

i've run "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade", there's nothing apt can do
it seems all is newest

it's not an easy problem
both solutions by Deloptes and Mark Fletcher don't seem easy

i've decided to reinstall from scratch, using latest installer

On Sunday, March 4, 2018 9:23 PM, Mark Fletcher <mark27q1@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Mar 04, 2018 at 10:01:23PM +0000, Long Wind wrote:

> there is a typo in my last post:  not -> now
> the cause might be i use installation CD 9.3.0but now apt source is newest (ftp.utexas.edu)
>
>    On Sunday, March 4, 2018 4:55 PM, Long Wind <longwind2@yahoo.com> wrote:

>  the cause might be i use installation CD 9.3.0but not apt source is newest (ftp.utexas.edu)
> below is error msg of "apt-get install mplayer"is it possible to fix it? Thanks!
>
> Reading package lists...
> Building dependency tree...
> Reading state information...
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>  mplayer : Depends: libavcodec57 (>= 7:3.2.2) but it is not going to be installed or
>                    libavcodec-extra57 (>= 7:3.2.2) but it is not going to be installed
>            Depends: libavformat57 (>= 7:3.2.2) but it is not going to be installed
>            Depends: libswresample2 (>= 7:3.2.2) but it is not going to be installed

Do apt update && apt upgrade as root, and see what it wants to do. You
don't have to let it do it -- you can answer N when it asks for
confirmation on the upgrade -- but you can see if it wants to upgrade a
ton of packages. If it does, my suggestion would be to let it do so and
then try the installation again.

The issue could be that it still thinks something is in the repository
with a dependency on an older version of one of those libraries, and you
need to update its understanding for it to see how it can fulfill your
request to install mplayer.

If that doesn't help then you need to look closely at the libraries
mplayer depends on and see if you have something pinning an older
version of them or a conflict preventing them from being installed. I
don't recall if apt has a why / why-not command, but aptitude does --
one early step would be to let the system tell you why it can't install
the dependencies of mplayer. Note your error message complained about
all of them, but it only takes one to actually have a problem, so check
them all.

HTH

Mark