Re: Using MATE's workspaces effectively
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Using MATE's workspaces effectively
- From: songbird <email@example.com>
- Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 19:20:35 -0500
- Message-id: <[🔎] firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: songbird <email@example.com>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
Richard Owlett wrote:
> However, it would solve a problem that I had assumed had to be endured.
> I frequently have a workflow needing root access for which I don't find
> "su" convenient causing me to logout as 'richard' and login as 'root'
> and back again.
um, i open a terminal window in one of my workspaces
and su to root and leave it there. when i need root
access to do something i click on that workspace and
there it is ready to go.
to get back to regular user me again i just click
on other workspace i was on before or whatever else
i want to do.
what is hard about that?
when i'm done working for the day i make sure all
my programs have things saved that need to be saved
and then use the root terminal to shutdown from
the command line. next time i boot up i do have to
sign in as root again, but that isn't a major problem