Re: Origin of /var/run contents

On 2018-02-27 12:46:46, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 February 2018 06:46:50 Martin S. Weber wrote:
>
> > On 2018-02-27 05:03:15, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> > > (...)
> > > So, is there somewhere that /run is initially populated from,
> > > (...)
> >
> > man 5 tmpfiles.d, see also its SEE ALSO.
> >
> > Regards,
> > -Martin
>
> Apparently new with jessie. But neither the lone jessie install, or the
> only stretch install actually have files in that directory.

In which of the three, /{etc,run,usr/lib}/tmpfiles.d ? According to systemdese,
the distribution files belong in /usr/lib/ (check the directory, I believe you
won't find it empty), administrator adjustments in /etc (so no surprise a
vanilla install doesn't have those) and /run, uhmm.. Ask a systemd disciple.

> If its there, why not make use of it?

Apparantly, it is being used.

> Neither jessie nor stretch have a manpage for systemd.tmpfiles.

Where'd you get that one from? tmpfiles.d(5) references systemd-tmpfiles(8),
which follows the typical systemd naming scheme of systemd-xxx for systemd
specific service applications. I suggest you report a docco bug for the
referencing file mentioning systemd.tmpfiles instead of systemd-tmpfiles.

> There is a manpage for systemd-tmpfiles, and apparently some of its
> callable subroutines.

You're not exactly supposed to call systemd-tmpfiles yourself.
systemd-tmpfiles(8) documents the systemd services that call systemd-tmpfiles(8).
During configuration development, it might be helpful for the administrator to
manually verify their configuration though, so let's rejoice this manpage exists.

> I've read that manual,

systemd-tmpfiles(8) ? You're reading the wrong manual. Return to tmpfiles.d(5).

> (...) but with all the options, (...)

Some problems are inherently complex, and lead to verbose solutions, simply
because of the necessary configurability. "Of course" a shell script would
be "simpler", but then again you'd need different calls to binaries, touch,
chown, mkdir, mknod, cp, etc. If you can't be bothered to figure out the
character you need to create the type of filesystem entry you require, how
can you argue that you could be bothered to look up mknod vs. mkdir, touch
or chmod?

> figuring out which one
> you need looks like a bit of Russian roulette with live ammo.

Your solution being? Besides, it's not russian roulette without live ammo.

> And how
> does that work when /run is a link to /var/run? and it doesn't work thru
> links. Confusing without a lot more study

I suggest you look at your "var.conf" tmpfiles.d entry (the one from your
distribution). The situation you describe creates a circular symbolic link.
Would you rather it worked?

Regards,
-Martin