Re: Wheezy to Stretch

On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 17:45:51 +0000 "Kleene, Steven (kleenesj)"
<kleenesj@UCMAIL.UC.EDU> wrote:

> I am running Wheezy (v7 = oldoldstable) and intend to replace it with
> a fresh install of Stretch (v9 = stable) before Wheezy's support runs
> out on May 31st.  I will try the default systemd installation and see
> how I like it.
>
> After the installation, I will want to build my system from my
> favorite window manager (fvwm).  With sysvinit, I would set
> initdefault to runlevel 3 in /etc/inittab.  In /etc/rc3.d, I would
> rename gdm3 so that I would boot into a terminal interface (command
> line) instead of Gnome.  Then I would quickly install fvwm, call
> startx, and happily finish building.

Just install a "terminal only" system first.  That is no X, no display
manager, no window manager, etc. I used the Netinstall ISO. Then
install what you want piece by piece. This is what I did with both
Wheezy and Stretch.

For Stretch, the init conversion -- systemd to sysvinit -- is a simple,
as root,  'apt-get install sysvinit-core sysvinit-utils' IIRC.  You
don't have to "uninstall" systemd.  The sysvinit-core install takes care
of everything so systemd won't run, but the systemd libraries remain for
those apps that have them as dependencies.

These are the instructions I used.  Just the Required Steps:

   http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Debian_Stretch

> I know systemd doesn't have inittab.  Will the default installation
> leave me with a terminal interface whenever I boot?  If not, how will
> I accomplish that?

With both my systems, I boot directly to a terminal by default which was
what I wanted.  Didn't have to do anything special.

> I also thought I had read about some problem with window
> authentication in Stretch, but I can't find any such posts now.

I've never had any problems, but I use Openbox instead of fvwm.