Re: Wheezy to Stretch

On 02/21/2018 10:39 AM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
On 02/21/2018 09:45 AM, Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) wrote:
I am running Wheezy (v7 = oldoldstable) and intend to replace it with a fresh
install of Stretch (v9 = stable) before Wheezy's support runs out on May
31st.  I will try the default systemd installation and see how I like it.

Okay, but I suggest instead you keep your wheezy system and your wheezy sources and do a upgrade using package upgrade-system, it will clean your system and then add the stretch sources including backports and run apt update & apt-upgrade and then run upgrade-system until your system is upgraded and clean, careful that sysvinit is not removed cause that package is not in stretch. You can also use apt dist-upgrade and deborphan.

After the installation, I will want to build my system from my favorite
window manager (fvwm).  With sysvinit, I would set initdefault to runlevel 3
in /etc/inittab.  In /etc/rc3.d, I would rename gdm3 so that I would boot
into a terminal interface (command line) instead of Gnome.  Then I would
quickly install fvwm, call startx, and happily finish building.

I know systemd doesn't have inittab.  Will the default installation leave me
with a terminal interface whenever I boot?  If not, how will I accomplish
that?

I also thought I had read about some problem with window authentication in
Stretch, but I can't find any such posts now.

I don't know of any current problems in stretch.

For all the "Na" Sayers here, nothing lost except for sometime and something to gan the system you want and if you can't make it work format and do a new system, but remember there is no "sysvinit" in Stretch.

Cheers,
--
Jimmy Johnson - "The Linux-Tester"

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS - KDE Plasma 5.12.1 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263