Re: how to offer Internet connection?

On Tuesday 20 February 2018 09:45:15 john doe wrote:

> On 2/20/2018 12:58 PM, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> > What is it, packet forwarding and nat?  I've heard about that but
> > never had occassion to try that myself before.
>
>  From a Google search:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation

Piece of cake for a router thats been reflashed with dd-wrt or similar.

That translation can be restricted to a single "port" address, which is
why you can see my web page, on this machine, at an odd port address if
you click on the link in the sig.

This is of course dependent on having a fixed ip, and mine is somehow
derived from the mac address of my router, so if I should have to change
routers, that would change until such time as I clone this mac address
into the other router, at which point the routers reboot gives me back
the old address and my registered domain name once again works, if the
other router also does this port forwarding.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)