Re: Stretch net install on EeePC - unable to resolve mirror host address

On 2018-02-20, Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Is there some way
>> of telling the installer not to use IPv6?  I have read
>> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianIPv6#How_to_turn_off_IPv6 but the
>> installer does not have file /etc/sysctl.conf

I looked up the router (I've now lost the page and the router
references--but it did mention "supported protocols IPv4 + IPv6" as
indicated below).

At any rate:

 if you have an IPv6 router or a DHCP server on your local network, but
 want to avoid them because e.g. they give wrong answers, you can use
 the parameter netcfg/disable_autoconfig=true to prevent any automatic
 configuration of the network (neither v4 nor v6) and to enter the
 information manually.

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch05s03.html.en

So I guess the 'netcfg/disable_autoconfig=true' as boot parameter would
allow for manual configuration of the network within the installer, thus
obviating the IPv6 conundrum.

> Yet what installer *does* have that's /proc.
> So, wait for the network autoconfiguration, switch to root vt, invoke:
>
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6

Maybe this would be less trouble.

--
New York was no mere city. It was instead an infinitely romantic notion, the
mysterious nexus of all love and money and power, the shining and the